Below are descriptions of most of our core beers. The lineup on any given day at the tasting room will likely consist of 3 to 5 these beers, and is likely to change often, so please check the ON TAP page for specifics before you visit
- In Absentia - IPA, 7.2% abvBrewed as a bigger alternative to our "Zelda" IPA, "In Absentia" features a lush body packed with pineapple, orange, passion fruit, and mango notes with a touch of piney resin. A gentle bitterness supports the flavor of the five different hops used in this beer.
- Laughter & Forgetting - Biere De Garde, 6.1% abvWe began with a base of our favorite pilsner malts and a formidable dose of the beautiful Saaz hop from the Czech Republic, fermented with an ale yeast from a classic French brewery. The resulting beer displays on exquisite balance of light, crockery malt flavors, subtle notes of honey and fruit, with the herbal, almost minty saaz hop poking through at the end. Extended cold conditioning provides a smooth, rounded palate which further blurs the line between Ale and Lager.
- Letters from Zelda - IPA, 6.5% abvOur original American IPA! This beer features a lush, fruity body with notes of tangerine, grapefruit and melon, set upon a smooth, supportive malt base. The finish is clean and slightly sweet. Brewed with American and British 2-row barleys, and hopped with five different hops, including a healthy dose of Amarillo.
- Positively 11th Street - Pale Ale, 5% abvOur signature American Pale Ale. Heavily dry-hopped with Mosaic and El Dorado, and set upon a foundation of North American and British malts. Soft, slightly sweet body gives way to a quick, clean finish.
- Sauron's Nightlight - Robust Porter, 7.3% abvDark and powerful, but with much more pleasant disposition that it's namesake, "Sauron" pours deep black with a tight, espresso-light foam. A rich, viscous body showcases complex flavors of cocoa, coffee, dark sugar and some dried fruit. Huge roasted flavors are complimented by a slight buttering charge of hops, lending a soft, clean finish.
- Throw Me the Idol - Double IPA, 8.2% abvThis sturdy IPA was built to showcase the wonderful El Dorado hop variety. The malts were selected to present a soft sweetness and lend a hazy deep gold color. Bristling with hoppy goodness, Idol includes 4 other hop varieties blended to add depth of character; orange pith, pine, blueberry, pineapple and lemon flavors are prominent, with slight warming alcohol coming in at the finish.
- No Use For Smugglers - Double IPA, 8% abvWe started with the malt base for "Throw Me The Idol", but changed the hop combination completely, using Mosaic, Citra, Amarillo, and Cascade. The resulting IPA is incredibly smooth on the palate, and is wonderfully fruit-forward, with layers of orange, peach, pineapple, and ripe berries. Enjoy! And yes, Han did shoot first.
- Kitten With A Whip - Bavarian Style Helles Lager, 5% abvOur interpretation of the classic Bavarian pale lager, a beer of subtle beauty and exquisite refreshing character. Kitten is built on a blend of our favorite pilsner malts, hopped with German Tettnang, and fermented with an authentic German lager yeast. The beer displays a careful balance of grassy malt flavors and a slight cereal sweetness; dry but medium bodied; floral hop notes and a trace of bready fermentaion character. It is simple yet intricate, and a respectful nod to one of the finest brewing traditions in the world.
- Recreational Intellectual - Biere De Mars, 6.2% abvFrench farmhouse brewers traditionally brewed "Biere De Mars" in early winter, incorporating the freshest hops and grain from the recent harvest. The cool fermentation temperatures created a clean, smooth beer, which would be further refined during extended cold-conditioning (similar to a lager). Our interpretation includes some of our favorite French pale malts, and hops grown locally by Four Star Farms in Northfield MA. It is crisp and dry, with a clean bitterness cutting through the cereal malt character. Fruity and grassy hop flavors round out the finish. A wonderful beer to celebrate spring and a return to warmer days!
- Half-Light Sunbeam - IPA, 6.5%A variation on Letters From Zelda, this IPA is hopped completely with Citra. Sunbeam hits everything we love about this hop variety; huge orange and peach flavors, an assertive but refined bitterness, beautifully supported by the bright malt foundation of her sister beer. Finishes slightly dry and refreshing.
- Signals Of Celestial Objects - Double Galaxy-hopped Pale Ale, 6% abvA 100% Galaxy hopped Pale Ale, constructed from our favorite British heirloom barley and heavily dry-hopped, twice, with the unique Australian hop. We taste big notes of guava, ripe strawberries, orange, and lime, with a touch of an herbal, dank character to round things out.
- Ode To The Afternoon Crew - Cream Ale, 4.9% abvThe cream ale style was developed by ale brewers in the 19th century, as a way to compete with new pale lager beer being brewed by German immigrants to America. In keeping with tradition, ours was brewed with North American 2-row and 6-row barleys, along with rice, rye, and locally grown & malted corn. Non-barley adjuncts were often utilized by pre-prohition brewers as a way to balance the high protien levels found in the (generally low quality) barley cultivars grown in this country at the time. We find now though that the different grains add wonderful complexity to a subtle beer. “Ode” was fermented with a clean ale yeast, and lagered for an additional 4 weeks, which lends the beer a crisp, refined palate.
- Nature Loves To Hide - Franconian Style Unfiltered Lager, 4.8% abvInspired by the unique brewing tradition in northern Bavaria, we've put togther our version of a classic un-filtered lager (zwickelbier). The germans keep their recipes simple, and rely on the quality of their ingredients and their skills as brewers to produce compelling yet refreshing beers. Ours utilizes pilsner and munich malts to provide a soft, bready, and slightly toasted foundation, upon which we stack the noble Hallertau hop, which lends a slightly spicy, fruity bitterness. The beer is malty without being cloying, finishes slightly dry and leaves the palate begging for another sip!
- A Small Group Of Reasonable People - English Style Mild Ale, 4% abvMild Ale was once the preferred beverage for the hard working people of he British Isles. It is low in alcohol and quenching, yet surprisingly complex and satisfying, in a way that paler beers just don't quite accomplish. Ours is brewed with traditional floor-malted English barley varieties, and fermented with an English yeast for a slightly fruity and soft Ale.
- Transferable Skillsets - German Pils, 4.9%Our take on a traditional German-style pils. We used German pilsner malt, hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang hops, and fermented with our Favorite Bavarian yeast. This unfiltered lager was allowed to cold condition for 12 weeks before it was packaged, creating an exceptionally smooth body, clean flavor profile, and a decadently frothy foam head on top.
- Ignore Alien Orders - Double IPA, 7.8%A wonderfully smooth and soft double IPA. We used Sabro, a relatively new hop variety, which add complex layers of tropical fruit, accentuated by HBC431 and Citra hops to round things out. We adjusted our water treatment for this beer in an effort to play on the (perceived) sweetness of its Pilsner malt base.
- Scotland But Further - New Zealdand double dry hopped Pale, 5.7%This is our rotating, all-New Zealand hopped Pale Ale. The current batch contains a blend of Wai-iti and Motueka hops, administered in 2 enormous dry-hop charges. We taste Orange, Pineapple, White Grape and ripe Mango. Silky mouthfeel and drinkably smooth at 5.7%
- Wolf Interval - Bamberg-style Smoked Marzen, 5.3%We modeled this beer after one of our all time favorites! Brewed with traditional beech smoked pale German malt and Munich Malts. Hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh and conditioned for 9 weeks with our house lager yeast.