We take pride in the fact that our breads are made using traditional methods, which ultimately means that they are given the time to develop flavour through various pre-fermentations, which are then added to the final dough some 12 to 16 hours later. Our Breads are also baked in a wood-fired brick bread oven, which produces a loaf with excellent crust and crumb. Here are some of our breads.
- Five GrainOur very popular crusty Five Grain loaf. A yeasted bread with sunflower and sesame seeds, rye chops, wheat and oats.
- Whole Wheat Multi-GrainFor the purist, who wants all the health benefits of eating whole wheat bread. Our Whole Wheat bread also contains whole grains: rye chops, cracked wheat and rolled oats.
- Cracked Spelt SourdoughWe crack our own spelt for this sourdough, which gives the bread a close, firm, crumb structure, increased flavour and texture, and when toasted, a wonderful rich nutty aroma.
- Sourdough Couronne BordelaiseThis sourdough crown is a real party centre piece. Guests can pull off a section of bread to have their very own sourdough mini loaf complete with its raised crunchy ear and soft interior crumb.
- Sourdough BatardThis is our regular Sourdough. Its long, slow, fermentation coupled with the addition of rye and wholewheat flour give great depth of flavour to this crusty loaf,
- PumpernickelThere are many breads labelled 'Pumpernickel'. Unfortunately, they all too often do not have the texture, depth of flavour or character of a proper Pumpernickel. Our Pumpernickel has a dense, close, slightly chewy crumb and is baked very slowly overnight. This long slow bake adds to its taste and flavour. It is sliced thinly by hand, 8 slices to a pack. In Denmark, Pumpernickel is traditionally served as an open sandwich and topped with smoked fish, shellfish, cold cuts or cheese; a Smørrebrød essential!
- Baguette (small)The classic French Baguette. Our Baguettes include a poolish pre-ferment and are made using the improved mixing method. The poolish adds flavour and the mixing method reduces the amount of oxygen into the dough, which in turn, preserves overall flavour.
Pastries and Cookies
We have a wide variety of pastries and cookies, from simple buttery shortbreads to extravagant Napoleon (Mille Feuille). Some of our items are restricted to seasonal appearances.
- Assorted Danish pastriesPain au Raisin, Pain au Chocolat, Almond Squares, to name a few of our Danish pastries.
- SconesWe have an assortment of scones, both sweet and savoury: Raisin and Plain, can be served topped with our homemade Clotted Cream ($4) and Raspberry Jam ($2), (sold separately) for you to enjoy a traditional Cream Tea at home. Or, if you prefer a savoury scone. we have: Cheese and Chive or Bacon Cheese and Onion. $2
- Lardy CakeAs its name implies, this sweet raisin bread is made with lard. We source our pork back-fat from North Wind Farms and render it to produce homemade lard. This is then mixed with butter and laminated through the dough with sugar, lemon and orange zest, currants and raisins. The dough is then baked in a sugared pan which produces a caramelized top.
- Jamaica Ginger Cake (2 lb)The word decadent is usually reserved for rich cakes containing chocolate. However, this cake has no chocolate, but it does have a very rich soft crumb and sticky top with intense ginger flavour. Also contains inclusions of soft sweet golden raisins and crystalized ginger.
- Apple turnoversOur turnovers are made with homemade butter puff pastry, The filling is a puree of apples, cider, butter, sugar and apricot, infused with cinnamon.
- Eccles cakesHomemade butter puff pastry with a filling of cake crumbs, golden syrup, orange and lemon zest, mixed spice and currants.
- BattenbergSquares of pink and yellow sponge cake with apricot jam, wrapped in marzipan. Sold in packs of eight. Perfect for a tea time treat.
- Bakewell TartsRich shortcrust almond pastry lined with raspberry jam and filled with soft almond sponge, topped with fondant icing and glacé cherry.
- Lemon Drizzle CakeLight lemon cake, pierced and drizzled with a frosting of lemon juice, zest and sugar. As they say across the "Pond", "very moreish"!
- Hot Cross BunsAvailable at Easter. Our Hot Cross Buns are something to look forward to after a long cold Winter as they herald the arrival of Spring. Delicious!
- Strawberry Napoleon (Mille Feuille aux Fraises)A stunning dessert to adorn any special occasion. Chantilly cream, fresh strawberries and Kirsch cream sandwiched between crispbutter-puff pastry, topped with strawberries dipped in raspberry sauce. Sold with fresh raspberry sauce. Available when local strawberries are in season. SPECIAL ORDER please contact Brit Breads via firstname.lastname@example.org (Yields 6 portions).
Bakers don't just make breads, they often include savoury pastries for their customers to enjoy. Here are a few of ours.
- Cornish pastyA complete meal in a pastry case. This portable meal sustained the Cornish tin miners while at work underground. The rich, short pastry case contains, beef, rutabaga (known to the Brits as swede) onion and potato. It is said that some wives of the miners would put jam at one end of the pasty to offer a sweet treat to complete their miner's meal.
- Sausage rollsWe use homemade butter puff pastry and homemade beakfast sausage meat in or sausage rolls. An eat anytime, tasty, portable snack and a great favourite for the picnic hamper.
Christmas brings some very special seasonal items to our product list. 3 month aged Christmas puddings. I year aged homemade mincemeat for our individual mince pies and of course, Christmas cake.
- Aged Mincemeat for Mince PiesOur mincemeat is homemade and aged for one year in our basement. This develops rich flavours that linger on the palate like a good wine. Pair this with our almond pastry and you have a Christmas classic....mince pies. Look out for them at our wholesale distributors November through January.
- Mince PiesOur Mince Pies are made with our own aged mincemeat (contains beef suit) and almond pastry. They deliver the perfect balance of rich, sweet, zesty, moreishness, that lingers on the palate! $2 each or a pack of 6 for $10.
- Christmas PuddingThe quintessential British dessert for the festive season. A preserve from days gone-by, which captured the bounty of the harvest to be enjoyed later. In many households, family members were encouraged to stir the ingredients and make a wish. Then, steamed for four hours and laid down in a cool dark place for a few months to mature. Traditionally, brought flaming to the Christmas table (we recommend Grand Marnier) and served with custard sauce. 1lb and 2lb puddings available. $15 or $20.
- Christmas CakeRich Brandied Fruit Cake finished with marzipan and Royal icing and Christmas decoration. (2lb)